Choosing a Legacy Contact can be the best decision you make concerning your Facebook account because it simply tells Facebook to either delete your account or memorize it when you are gone.
Death is inevitable - true but hard to believe! You need to make a smart move to choose who you want to manage your Facebook account when you pass away. See: How to Hide Your Facebook Friend List from Friends and Others
In this article, we'll see how to choose a legacy contact, how to memorize a Facebook account.
What happen to your Facebook account if you pass away?
You can tell Facebook in advance whether you’d like to have your account memorialized or permanently deleted from Facebook when you are gone.
Memorialized accounts are a place for friends and family to gather and share memories after a person has passed away. Memorialized accounts have the following key features:
- The word Remembering will be shown next to the person's name on their profile
- Depending on the privacy settings of the account, friends can share memories on the memorialized Timeline.
- Memorialized accounts that don't have a legacy contact can't be changed
- Content the person shared (example: photos, posts) stays on Facebook and is visible to the audience it was shared with.
- No one can log into a memorialized account
- Memorialized profiles don't appear in public spaces such as in suggestions for People You May Know, ads or birthday reminders
- Pages with a sole admin whose account was memorialized will be removed from Facebook if we receive a valid request
Deleting Your Account
You can choose to have your account permanently deleted should you pass away. To do this:
- From the top right of Facebook, click and select Settings
- From the left menu, click Security
- Click Legacy Contact
- Click Request account deletion and follow the on-screen instructions
For Friends and Family
If you'd like to create an additional place for people on Facebook to share memories of your loved one, we suggest creating a group.
Learn how to request the memorialization of an account or how to request the removal of a deceased person's account from Facebook.
How to add, change or remove legacy contact on Facebook?
You can add, change or remove your legacy contact in your account's General Settings at any time.
To add a legacy contact:
- Click in the top right of Facebook and select Settings
- Click Manage Account
- Type in a friend's name and click Add
- To let your friend know they're now your legacy contact, click Send
To change or remove a legacy contact, follow steps 1–2 above, then click Remove. From there, you can add a new legacy contact if you'd like.
If your account is memorialized, your legacy contact will be notified.
Note: You must be at least 18 or older to select a legacy contact.
Can I choose someone who isn't a Facebook friend as a legacy contact?
At this time, you can only add a Facebook friend as your legacy contact.